Tower of Guns is a game that I went into with low expectations but was decently surprised coming out of. I enjoyed it enough to put quite a bit of time into it, but it probably isn’t a game that I’ll go back to very much after writing this review. The basic concept is that you are put into a randomly generated level and have to fight through a few rooms in it before getting to a boss. There was more to it than that though, and I’ll go into more detail in the rest of my review.
What I Liked
- The randomly generated levels was an interesting feature, and it also gives the game a lot more replayability.
- There is a pretty good leveling system for the weapons, and you can also unlock new ones as you play more levels.
- It actually has boss fights, with huge machines shooting at you. I feel like a lot of games don’t have this type of thing anymore and go for more of a cinematic experience then something that is actually challenging.
- Even though it is very easy to get to the end of the levels, you can spend more time in them to try and find perks to make the boss battle a little easier.
- It had a very old school feeling, which is good if you like that kind of thing. It’s also like a breath of fresh air from all of the Call of Duty and Battlefield clones that make up most of the FPS genre.
What I Didn’t Like
- I think that the biggest fault of the game is that you can easily pass through a level without fighting any of the enemies. All you have to do is simply run past them to the door until you get to the boss fight. That said, the boss fight will be much easier if you look for perks throughout the level. Finding those will usually be challenging, and you will most likely have to fight a few of the enemies.
- The graphics are not impressive at all. They remind me of a downgraded Borderlands game.
- Along with the graphics, the frame rate is pretty bad. It would constantly drop, although it never really interfered with the gameplay.
- To be honest, this game is actually pretty boring. While I was playing it I liked some of the ideas but was never really having fun.
All in all, Tower of Guns is a game that could be enjoyed if it is your type of game. But to actually get the full potential out of it you would have to be a pretty big fan of old school games. In my case, I like more modern games, and a lot of people in the gaming community share that same view. So, because of that and the other reasons mentioned above, I am not able to score this game with a very high rating. However, if you are a big fan of old school games I think that you will really enjoy this game.
Developer: Terrible Posture Games
Publisher: Grip Digital sro
Original Release Date: March 4, 2014
Platforms: Xbox One (Reviewed), PS3, PS4, PC, Linux, OS X
ESRB Rating: E10+ – Everyone 10+
*A copy of this game was provided for review.